Sunday, April 18, 2010

Indigo Seedlings Progress and Altered States

My little indigo sproutlings now have leaves.  The lovely little green leaves are arching toward the sun so I turned the Jiffy Planter around.   I will probably have to turn it every day to keep them growing straight.  I am going to do a count tomorrow and estimate how many have come up.


I had forgotten how much fun it was to start something from seed and watch it grow.  I am almost like a giddy school girl planting seeds for the first time in science class.  I do believe I need to start a journal and take notes--although I am doing that here, it might be cool to do one like an altered book. 

I am currently taking Juliana Coles online class "Altered States: Altered Book as Extreme Visual Journal."
I bought several cheap books at Big Lots and have been ripping out pages to make room for the collaging we will do next.  It was really hard to rip pages out of a perfectly good book.  I chose to start with a book called "Dictator Style" that shows the lavish lifestyles and homes of some infamous dictators.  After reading a bit about them it was easier to rip out the pages.

 


I think it will make it easier to paint, stamp, mark and glue all over them as well.  I also used a deckle ruler to make the pages less wide inside the book cover so everything stays contained (mostly) inside the covers.  Creating an altered visual journal is a big departure from what I usually do so I am going to just close my eyes and take a big leap of faith and just do it.  It does not have to be pretty, it does not have to be exact, it does not have to make sense--it just has to happen.  Now to go dig out the supplies I need for the next lesson...

No comments:

Post a Comment