Friday, April 16, 2010

Sprouts

Yay! I have sprouts of indigo!  I am so excited.  Below, you can see I used one of those Jiffy Greenhouses with the peat pellets to start my indigo seed.  I followed the Jiffy instructions and poured the water into the tray and let the pellets expand for about an hour.  I then used scissors to make sure the top of the mesh was open and to stir up a little of the peat on the top of each pellet.  I dropped several seeds (they are tiny) onto each pellet.  I will have to thin them out and I am sure there will be some that don't make it.  I did my planting on Monday, April 12, 2010.


I have to admit to be a bit worried on Tuesday when I saw some fuzziness on top of the pellets, but then I remembered that some plants have fuzzy little roots when they are sprouting.  I decided to take the giant leap of faith and not look at them again until today (Friday) and my reward is seeing these lovely sprouts.

 

My favorite pic of my new indigo sprout babies is below.


I am going to start another flat with the remaining seed.  I have a few other friends who would like to try out indigo and we are going to see if we can keep a few going indoors year round for fresh leaf dyeing as well as some outdoor planting.  We will find out who has the best outside soil and who has the best indoor conditions and do some sharing.

No comments:

Post a Comment